Friday, July 22, 2011

Video reviews week 8

I watched 3 asian videos, “Chinese Art:Treasures of National Palace Museum”, “The Great Wave” and the Buddhism video, as well as the Islamic Art video. I am not really a fan of Chinese art, so I didn’t really get much out of the first video, they have a lot of delicate decorated china, such as the tea bowl in the video. It is beautiful, but doesn’t really interest me. I tried to watch the video to get a greater appreciation for Chinese art. I know of the Japanese work “Great Wave” so I figured I’d watch the video to learn more behind the piece. I learned how the wave is representative of our lives, and especially enjoyed seeing all the places the piece has be reused, such as in comics. From the Buddhism video, I learned about their pilgrimage “Great Stupa”, I never knew Asian religions had Pilgrimages like Christian’s and Islam’s. The Islamic video was quite different from the other three, since it is a completely different culture. I think Islamic art is beautiful, and I appreciated that the video tried to break the barrier between the stereotype of terrorism and their religion. The videos added to this weeks reading by giving me more visual references and personal accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment