Sunday, July 3, 2011

Art Installation Project

A. What is installation art? Installation art is a sculpture that is built in a specific area that could be related to the sculpture, or the space could be built just for the piece. It is called installation art becaues the artist physically takes the material for the piece and places it into the space where it will be displayed- it is installed.

B. What materials are used installation art?
Anything can be used for installation art. Typically solid materials such as metals, papers, natural elements such a rocks, aometimes a type of liquid. Anything that the artist feels fits best with their piece.

C. Why make installation art? 
I think the reason for installtion art is that it is not just a painting where you could create the same message, but with installation art the artist is creating a 3D object that viewers can interact with and move around and become a part of.

D. Which artist/installation did I find most interesting?
I liked the tree in Austin TX from our book. I like nature and I liked how the two trees seemed magnetic towards each other and connected in the center. It had a lot of energy.


A. From the material reviewed, is there a inspiration piece that I feel a connection with?
Not really, I like all the installations that I have learned about so far, but it seems like it will be hard to come up with an idea of my own that could be as great as the ones I have seen. I think you need a lot of time, materials, and ideas to come up with a piece like the ones I have seen.

B. What theme do I want to explore in my installation? Refer to your textbook if you need to review Themes of Art.
I would like to explore nature and our environment. Possibly the effects we have on our environment or something related to that.

C. What materials will I use?
I am going to use a bird feeder and some wire fencing.

D. Where will this installation be located and why?


It will be located in my backyard, because the birdfeeder is already placed there, and also becuase it needs to be outside because it would make the most sense there since it is about our effects on the environment.

My installation is composed of wire fencing around a bird feeder. I already had the bird feeder in my backyard, and I found some wire fencing material in my basement, so I wrapped the wire around the feeder as best I could. I am trying to convey the point that humans have always been taking over nature, and slowly closing in on the animal's environment. Although there are wildlife reserves and national parks where animals can go, we build and build and wind up srrounding them. That is why I put the fencing around their feeder, to show that we cage them in even in their own environment.
I thought this was a difficult project. It took a long time to come up with an idea that I could produce from materials I already had at home without having to do too much construction. Unfortunately I will not leave this installation up, it is only for the purposes of the project. That was the other complication, having enough time to create an installation, and with little time, I could only produce a temporary piece. If I were to ever create a true installation, it would require a lot of time, and money for matierals, and a proper space that is not in the way of anything else...such as my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment