Friday, July 1, 2011

Scultpure, Ceramics, Installation Video Review

Questions and Topics for Your Blog Posting: 1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
Sculptor: I learned the multi-step process a sculpter goes through to make a large sculpture. I knew they must have done some sort of drawing and plannings, even maybe a mini model, but I didn't realize that they made a model then made a mold then re copied the model all before even begining the final piece. Seems a bit redundant, but I guess you have to be really familiar with an object if you are going to make a large permanent piece.
Glass: I have worked with ceramics for a while now, and I found it hard to believe that ceramic can be harder than steel. I have seen ceramic break many times after it has been fired, so this idea is a new concept to me.
Installation: This video talked a lot about how controversial installation art has been. I know many pieces in the area that people just don't understand and are controversial just as the video talked about.

2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
The videos relate to the text by reinforcing the ideas presented to us, and going further into detail about specific topics.

3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the topics: Sculpture, Installation, and Craft?
The films added to my understanding of the text by giving me more visual references and examples than what I would get from just reading. I find it more interesting to learn a lot about one topic than a little of many topics as textbooks often do.

No comments:

Post a Comment