Sunday, July 24, 2011

Mask

 I was first drawn to this Batak mask from the Dutch East Indies, I like the elongated face that was created. I think the point of the mask is already to be someone you are not and so elongating that face into an even more abstract representation makes the effect even more impressive. I also like the playfulness of the faces, and the exaggerated features.

 My second inspiration is the Fang mask used in ceremony searching for sorcerers, again I like the elongated face and on this one I like the lack of facial features. It is simple and pleasing.

My last inspiration piece is the "Kifwebe" mask from the Songye people in Zaire. This is a mask described as portraying an dangerous force, and I like the simplicity of it. I like the geometric patterns the African people have used on their masks, seen on this and many others.



The mask I created is made out of clay that I let air harden and then painted an earth brown color. I wanted my mask to be completely 3D so I made a mini model of what a full version would look like, since I didn't have enough clay to make a life-size model.
My mask is a mix between all of my inspiration pieces. I wanted to use simple geometric forms and balance them on an enlongated face, but also keep the "dangerous force" aspect. My mask I think would be used to ward of bad spirits.
I had fun doing this project because I got to make something with my hands and be creative. Coming up with an idea wasn't very hard, once I got the clay in my hands it all just came together as one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment