Thursday, August 11, 2011

Self Portrait


Peter_Fox_Big_Self_Portrait.jpg
Peter Fox Big Self Portrait 2009 acrylic on canvas

Laura K Aiken Self Portrait 2009

Chuck Close Self-Portrait 1999

I chose these three pieces for insipration because after looking at many self portraits, I liked that even though these were abstract and distorted, you could still tell who the person was. Growing up I never liked getting my picture taken, I am a lot better about that now, but I decided to still draw upon that feeling and create a self portrait that distorted the image of me so I could in a way hide, but it could still be recognized as me. I created my self portrait using digital media because I am working overtime this week so I didn't have much extra time to create a painting, but I have access to a computer all day and was able to work on it during my breaks. I took a picture of myself, and then used a program to edit and apply many filters to it until I had a final image I was pleased with. This took a little while because I thought I had a final image many times but then decided to start over again and do different things to the image. I ended up with a few final images and then chose one to be the image for this project.  I think this piece represents me because I am a shy person, so the distortion gives me a screen to hide behind. Also the piece is colorful, and I am a lively person so I feel it captures my spirit. The elements of color and texture are the most obvious in my portrait, but I also believe that line makes an appearance as well just not in such a blatently obvious way; it has been distorted. I thought this project was fun, it was difficult to decide what I wanted to do at first, but I found great examples to inspire me. My ideas kept changing, but they were progressive changes that led me to my final product. I am very happy with my self portrait, I would consider doing this project again in the future, there are so many possibilities!


Emily Krolewicz Self Portrait 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment