Sunday, August 7, 2011

Art Curation Project reflection

This project was fun but challenging. I knew what I wanted to right away (More than Meets the Eye), but was having trouble finding images that were cohesive and also enough images. The idea came from a project I did in high school where we used words of emotion that described a picture to create value, by overlapping the words. I had the idea that from far away it looks like just another picture, but as you get closer and see that there is text and read it, you get a different feeling for the work and get involved in the emotions and have a new connection with the work. I wanted to find more images out there like mine at home to show how we see images all the time in life, but how artists can make those images about more than what we just see on the surface.

I found enough pictures for the project, but realized there would be no cohesion in my exhibit and that viewers would get bored. I brought this to attention in the discussion forum, and Professor Tabone suggested that I find images of similar nature to compare my chosen images to. This idea was great and I think by using it I created a new interest in my piece. Instead of just being a jumble of images with a similar background, it became more of a challenge to viewers to see the differences and compare and relate them to their own lives and take what they could from it.

I think my exhibit turned out really well. It took a long time to put it together, but the final result is good I think. I chose a gallery space that was wide open so it would allow a maximum amount of viewers to see each section but not be over crowded. The walls are divided into niches, in which each pair of images would go, side by side so viewers could compare. I think this will have a great effect, since each pairing will be essentially in its own little world.

Although this project was challenging, I had a fun trying to complete it. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to put together an exhibit in real life. I'm not sure I want to find out either, I was stressed just trying to complete a power point exhibit! I have a new appreciation for art exhibits and won't just look at them as paintings on walls anymore, but will be able to view the gallery as an entire space created with purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment