Sunday, June 26, 2011

Gallery Visit #1

Artworks that made an impact/impression on  me:



1) Charles Burchfield, “Mid-June” 1917-1944, Watercolor
            This piece made an impression on me because I like the effects of the technique of watercolor and how in this piece there are so many lines of movement and variations of color. It is like a dream world.


2) Steina, “Tokyo 4” 1991, 4 Video Projections
            This piece was particularily intriguing. It is made of 4 video screens playing videos to compose a visual symphony. There is some sound supporting the videos, and the overall effect is relaxing and beautiful. I can really see music through the videos.

3) Katherine Sehr, “Untitled” 2009, Ink on Paper
            I love this work because it is simple at first from far away, but then up close it is made up of thousands of tiny ink lines. I cannot even imagine how much time this took to create and I appreciate it for that reason.

Artworks I felt a connection with:

1) Steina, “The West” 1983, 14 Video Monitors
            I feel oddly connected with this piece because I love nature and have recently traveled out west so the images are familiar to me. Some images were overlapping which became mesmerizing, like a child in a crib watching a mobile trying to fall asleep.

2) John Tracey, “Untitled” 2007, Fired stoneware clay, oil based paint, and graphite.
            I feel a connecton with this work because I enjoy working with ceramics, and appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this piece. I also love the ocean, so seeing the coral and shells is pleasing to me. I love the effect of the coral, it must have taken a lot of concentration to create this piece.

3) Jozef Bajus “Object MC-(-)9” 2008, Paper, cotton and thread.
            I feel a connection to this poece because I enjoy crafting and have woven papers like this before. I enjoy seeing more complicated works like this to inspire me.

Artworks I would like to know more about:

1) Steina, “Pyrogylphs” 199, 3 video projections
            I would like to know more about this work because fire has always been an interest of man’s, and I think this demonstrates that. It is mesmerizing staring at fire or coals, and I would like to know more about the psychology and hear some insight from the artist.

2) Stephen Saracino, “Cavatappi dei Saracino” 2009, Sterling silver, lapis lazuli, mokume gane, and onyx
            I would like to know more about this piece because it is so complex. I would like to know the meaning behind the title, and all the animals on the piece- armadillos, warthogs, centaurs…etc.

3) Fotini Renzoni, “Weakness” 2011, Graphite on Clayboard
            I love this piece because it has great fluidity, value, and motion. It is pleasing to the mind, and I would like to know more about the inspiration for the piece.

2 comments:

  1. The untitled piece by John Tracey is simply amazing. I would never have imagined that his was a ceramics piece. The detail in this work is incredible. This must have taken the artist a long time to complete. There is so much depth added that it draws your eye to every little detail. The "Cavatappi dei Saracino" is a great choice. This is a piece that I would have also picked for my project. The mechanical feel and look intrigues me. I agree that he "Weakness" portrayed great fluidity, value and motion. I love how this piece seems to dance for us. You had some great works that you have chosen, many of which I do would have picked. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What art gallery did you go to? They had a lot more pieces of art on video monitors and video projections than the Albright Knox did when I went there. I especially love Stenia's piece "Tokyo 4". I feel like I can feel the movements and I could guess what kind of music that was playing. I love the kind of art that you can feel just by looking at it.

    ReplyDelete